Friday, May 25, 2007

Goin' South... Georgia, South Carolina & Florida

We left North Carolina on May 15th and started making our way south to Florida.

Our first stop was in the mountains of northern Georgia to visit our friend Janice Garrard...we used to work with Janice during our Mercy Ships days, on board the Good Samaritan and the Caribbean Mercy. Janice also spent a couple of months with us in Bocachica back in our early years. We had a great time catching up!


Our second stop was in Charleston, South Carolina visiting our special friends and supporters, Jerry and JoAnn Parrott. They were the first family Jorge became friends with on his very first trip to the USA about 20 years ago. Jerry was also Jorge's best-man in our wedding!


We went to walk around downtown Charleston and saw a sign announcing the arrival of some Tall Ships in the harbor and lo and behold, when we got there it was the Colombian Naval Ship, "La Gloria"!! We went on board for a free tour and talked with some of the crew! You might not believe this but it even smelled like Colombia on board the ship and it made us homesick for Bocachica!


La Gloria is a symbol of national pride for most Colombians.

In Jacksonville, Florida we visited our friends and supporters, John and Anika Magwood! We used to work together on board the Caribbean Mercy and we hadn't seen each other in 11 years. It was such a blessing and an encouragement to hear their stories of God's faithfulness to them in the last years!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jorge and Karen, my name is Alyona, I am from Kyrgyzstan. I was searching for Jack and Gloria Oppenhuizen on the web and I stumbled on your blog. Could you please help me to contact them. My e-mail address is rasquinhalar@aol.in

I was in YWAM in Colorado in 1998 and that year I visited Jack and Gloria. Then I lost touch with them. Now finally I have a lead.
Thank you for your help.
Alyona