Friday, April 25, 2008

Ever heard of a Guama?

One of the trees in our back yard produces a fruit called GUAMA!

Jorge cutting down the Guamas.

We got down a bunch to take out to our friends and staff in Bocachica.


They are long pods and inside are rows of black seeds covered with a sweet cotton-like fruit. It´s what I imagine Manna tasted like.



After you eat the fruit off you are left with the seeds. I´m not sure about this but I have heard that some people use these to make jewelry and crafts.

2 comments:

Pat Barrett said...

I'm learning how to make jewelry, send them my way and I'll make you a necklace. The friend who taught me made a necklace from African seeds.
pb

Denryuu said...

If they are anything like the Inga Jinicuil, you probably could boil the seeds and eat them. Better ask the people around, though.