Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Small Set-back

Well, it has been 2 months since my big surgery and I just wanted to give you an update on how it's going.  

I am doing well and feeling good and getting back to normal with my activity.  For the first month and a half or so I was limited in what I could do but little by little I have gotten pretty much back to normal.  I still have to be a little careful with pushing, pulling, lifting, and reaching but I did mow the grass this weekend so I'd say I'm doing great!  

Thankfully, I haven't had any infections or major complications.  I have had a little set-back which delays my time-line a bit.  My incisions have taken an extra long time to heal and close.  A couple of weeks ago I went to the doctor to get the incisions checked-out and they didn't like what they saw.  I was hospitalized because they were planning to operate again and take out the expanders and close up my incisions again.  But, thank the Lord, after doing some further testing, they decided that wasn't necessary and they chose to do extra wound care to try to help the healing process along instead.  

Since then I have had to use a special ointment and change my dressings twice a day.  It has taken a long time but I am finally seeing progress and can see that they are finally healing and looking better.  

I went to the doctor last week to hopefully start the expansion process but they decided that the incisions were not healed enough yet to start so I have to go in again in 2 weeks and hopefully everything will be healed up by then.  

The doctor explained to me two possible factors in the delay of the healing process.  First, since I had radiation years ago, it compromises the quality of the skin and it's ability to heal.  But the greater factor is that when they do the mastectomy and take out all of the breast tissue, the blood supply is very low in the skin and muscles that are left behind and without good blood supply, the healing takes a lot longer.  

All of this delays my plans to get back to Colombia before the end of the year.  Now it looks like it will be January or February before I can get back, that is if I have no more set-backs or complications.  All in all, I am doing very well and feeling good!  I have almost no pain. Discomfort, yes, but most of the time it is not painful.

I am so thankful to God for His provision and the medical care I have been able to receive!  It is a HUGE blessing!!!  I am also thankful for so many people who have reached out to help and encourage me through this!!  I have been so blessed and uplifted by people who have brought meals, sent flowers, cards, and gifts, and just encouraged me with love and sweet words!! 


No comments: