Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Day of Rejoicing in Colombia!!

Today at around 2:30 in the afternoon I got a call from Erika in Bocachica telling me to turn on the TV because there was a news report that Ingrid Betancourt had been rescued from the FARC. This has been one of those days where the whole country is gathered around the TV, just soaking up every detail of what has happened. It has been a day filled with tears of joy and gratefulness!
Ingrid just after having arrived to Bogotá.

Ingrid and her mom, reunited!



Ingrid Betancourt was rescued today along with 14 others who were being held hostage by the FARC. She was in captivity for 6 years, 4 months and 10 days. I remember so well the day it happened because Jorge and I were celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary. We were staying in a nice hotel for the weekend and I couldn´t get over the fact that while we were enjoying a moment of luxury, her world was being turned upsidedown! I have held her close in my heart ever since and every year when our anniversary rolls around I think of her especially! It is hard to express how grateful and moved I feel by what God has done today. Many of those rescued today have been in captivity for as long as 10 years! So many hostages and their families suffering for so long!! Today is a day of victory and rejoicing here in Colombia...for Ingrid, the other 14 and all those they represent. We continue to remember and pray for those who were left behind!!

Here is a good article about what happened today. I read it and it is pretty accurate except for one statement,( ¨However, she said, ´I continue to aspire to serve Colombia as president.´" ) I heard this interview live and I don´t think that is what she said...I think she said something along the lines of...¨Who knows¨, in regards to ever running for president again in the future. Anyways, it is a good article if you want an overview of what happened:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080703/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/colombia_hostages


No comments: