Monday, September 01, 2014

Surgery Day

 On Aug. 28th I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am.  Here I am in the pre-op area, waiting for them to get me ready for surgery.  I thank the Lord that I felt very calm and at ease during this whole time.  Jorge and my mom were with me until they wheeled me away.

 I got changed into my surgery duds and the plastic surgeon came in and marked me up and took before photos and then I got an IV put in.

 While I was getting prepped for surgery there were LOTS of people coming and going, getting everything organized.  It all runs like a a well-oiled machine, which is comforting. The OR nurse was an angel from God.  She was from India and without knowing whether I was a Christian or not she didn't hesitate to tell me not to worry about anything because she had been praying for me since that morning and she was "claiming the blood of Jesus over the whole operating room!"  I loved that!  And I assured her that there were lots of people praying for her too!

The first 12 hours after the surgery were really hard, it was so painful that I couldn't even take a deep breath or cough or lift my hand to scratch an itch on my face.  I never would have imagined that they would send me home the next day.  In hindsight, I do wish I could have stayed one more night in the hospital but I guess it all worked out in the end.  The first night at home was hard too because of the pain but once I got my pain meds regulated it was a lot more manageable and easier to move and get comfortable.  Now I have to change the dressings everyday and drain the drainage tubes a couple of times each day.  

It looks like everything is going well and I haven't had any complications so far, thank the Lord.  I have just been taking it easy, going between the bed, the bathroom and the recliner.  My first follow-up with the plastic surgeon is on Wednesday and I will probably be able to get the drains taken out then.

I am very grateful for the prayer and support from friends and family!!  I have felt very strong and at peace in the midst of this whole ordeal and I know that is due to the Lord and His work in my heart and mind and in part due to all the prayer going up on my behalf.

No comments: